Thursday, April 1, 2010

Wordle!

A cool website for those who like to play with their words is http://www.wordle.net/ It allows you to enter text and make your own word collages--you choose the font, the colors, and the style and it automatically arranges it for you! Here's one I did from the first chapter of one of my favorite books--can you guess which one it is?



They do have a saved gallery of other people's Wordles, which can sometimes get a little dangerous, so be cautious if using this with a class. But it's a great tool for teachers and librarians who want to jazz up the way they introduce a book or topic.

I used the screen capture function to save the graphic--on my Mac, it's Command-Shift-4 (pressed all together), and then you can click and drag a window around what you'd like to copy and it will save it to your desktop.

4 comments:

- jeana said...

love this idea....! i'm having a hard time printing anything tho...any thoughts? i've been to the "help" section on the website, tried a few "helps" and still no print... =(

- jeana said...

too many jeana's....haymond, at cascade =)

Heather said...

Jeana, I used the screen capture function--on my Mac, it's Command-Shift-4 (pressed all together), and then you can click and drag a window around what you'd like to copy and it will save it on your desktop. Hope this helps!

Ms. Batchler said...

I love this website. We used it this last Christmas to make personalized Christmas Cards for our administration at Oak Canyon. I've also had students use it to describe book characters.